When the situation requires it, like going to a game or bird watching, for example, many people choose a pair of binoculars to get a closer look. That is fine, and binoculars work great. Some may even say that they are better than monoculars. However, some people prefer the latter. It has a smaller design, it is more lightweight and more comfortable to transport. And the most important thing is that it can do just about the same job. The only difference is that you get to take a closer look with only one eye and not two. As long as you seek for the best monocular, you are going to have the same experience.
Why go for a monocular instead of a binocular?
There are plenty of reasons people use one instead of the other. Also, for some individuals, it is a matter of preference. After all, you do not have to explain yourself for that. However, if you are looking for reasons why to use a monocular instead of binoculars, here is what you need to know.
- A monocular is more lightweight – if you are going hiking, for example, the weight of a pair of binoculars will not matter so much. After all, you are carrying a heavy backpack on your back, so a binocular will not make much of a difference. However, if you go birdwatching, or if you go to a game, a backpack is not always necessary. With that being said, a monocular is more comfortable to carry around. You can just put it in your pocket.
- It is smaller – this argument resembles the previous one. If you go somewhere that requires you to take a closer look but not a bag or something, the space you have is limited. A monocular is very easy to carry around in your pocket or your handbag. You might say that binoculars also fit in a handbag, but did you take a look at women’s handbags lately? They tend to be smaller and smaller, depending on the current trend, which is why a monocular is more suitable. If you are a man and you do not carry a bag, then this argument is even more valid. If that can even be a thing. Your pockets are all you have.
- You can use it for magnification – while monoculars are designed to look at things that are far away, if you turn it around, you can use it as a magnifying glass. If you have poor eyesight, this feature comes in handy at times. Plus, you can carry it with you at all times, so it is not so much of a bother.
- A monocular is versatile – you can get over the fact that monoculars are usually used at games, hunting, or bird watching. You can use it in everyday life. People who have poor eyesight can use a monocular wherever they may go. It is not ideal, and you can always get a pair of glasses. However, there are people who like to use glasses only when they work or when they do things at home. If you are one of those people who does not want to get their glasses when they leave the house, a monocular is ideal for you.
What to consider when looking for the best monocular?
While you cannot go wrong with a monocular, you cannot just buy the first one you see. All monoculars work on the same principle. However, not all of them are created equal. There are plenty of things you need to consider if you want to buy the best monocular for you, which is why I made the list you will find below. Here is what you need to look at:
- Strength – this is a characteristic that is actually determined by two other aspects: magnification and the actual physical size of the lens. You can read about the two further down.
- Magnification – when you see a product online, the specifications will always say that it can magnify a number of That is what magnification means. You need to be careful when you choose that number. Why? Because the bigger the magnification, the more difficulty you will be experiencing when you use the monocular. The most common magnification is 5x or 6x. The clarity is satisfactory, and it does not limit your field of view (about which we will talk later.) If you go for an 8x magnification, the details will be better, but then you will have a tougher time to locate the target because it becomes significantly more unsteady. Anything above 10x is destined for professionals. If you insist on using such a magnification level, then my advice is to invest in a tripod as well. Otherwise, you will have a tough time handling the monocular.
- Lens size – usually, the bigger the lens, the better the quality. However, that becomes more and more untrue because miniature lenses have become very good. However, what you need to know is that the bigger the lens, the heavier your monocular will be. If you want a small lens but extremely high quality, you will have to pay more for your monocular, but trust me, it is worth it.
- Field of view – the simplest explanation for the field of view is that it determines just how much of an area you can see at a particular distance away from an object. The principle is simple. The bigger the magnification, the closer the target, therefore the smaller the area can be seen through the monocular at any given time. The best thing you could do is find the right balance for you.
- Eye relief – this one establishes how far you can hold the monocular from your eye when you look through the monocular. The goal here is to get a complete field of view. At the same time, this is not an issue for people with perfect eyesight (20/20.) People who wear glasses, on the other hand, need to take this into With that being said, eye relief should be more significant than the depth of their own lenses. Otherwise, the image is lost. So, if you wear standard glasses, the eye relief should not be lower than 14 mm.
- Additional features – the monoculars you can find today on the market bring a lot of extra features that come in handy at times, depending on what you need the monocular for. For example, you can use some models as scopes. Not all of them can, so make sure that you read the specifications carefully. Also, the construction is yet another aspect that you should look at. If you plan on abusing the monocular, make sure that you buy one designed for rugged use. The list can go on, but it is up to you whether you want the additional features or not.
What are the best monoculars?
You will see that you will find countless models on your first search. How can you know which one is the best monocular? You cannot, really. However, make sure that you check all the things above from the list. Also, it would not hurt to read some monoculars reviews. They can be very helpful. Lastly, if you do not want to bother looking for the right product yourself, below you will find three excellent models.
Miluo Tech 16×52 Dual Focus Monocular
The monocular Tech Monocular is ideal for sporting events, bird watching, concerts, fishing, camping, golf, and you can even use it as a scope. With a 52 mm objective and a 16x magnification ability, this small monocular is easy to underestimate. Even so, it will do an excellent job at whatever you need it for. The multicoated optics provide superior light transmission and brightness.
The dual focus feature means that it has front and back adjustable zoom. The field of view is 98m/8000m, which is not bad at all. While the magnification may be a bit difficult to handle if you have no experience, you will learn how to use it with a bit of practice.
The monocular from Miluo Tech is waterproof so you can use it underwater as well. However, you cannot go in too deep. If the pressure is too high, you will damage the device. It features a rubber coat so that it can withstand rugged field use. Even so, try not to drop it too often. You have a removable hand strap just in case. The eyepiece has adjustable diopter to suit everyone’s needs.
Cosbity High Power Monocular
The Cosbity monocular is for all of you who want the entire package. I also recommend this product for all those who wish to use the monocular when taking pictures. That is because you will receive multiple useful accessories that will help you take the most amazing photos. This is a high power monocular, just as the title suggests, with a full 12x magnification and a 50 mm objective lens diameters. The image is clear and bright, and the field of view is 430 feet/1000 yards.
The clear image is given by the large BAK-4 prism and fully multi-coated lens elements. The distortion is minimal, the light reflection is flawless, and the brightness is just right. The contrast and quality are undoubtedly among the best you will get your hands on. The design is sleek and reliable. The Cosbity monocular has a rubber finish that can take abuse, and at the same time, it provides an easy and secure grip.
As for use, you are going to have an easy time. Of course, you need some practice if you have not used an above 10 magnification before, but you will get the hang of it. The one-hand focus wheel will make your job easier, which we all know that comes in handy while in the middle of nature. The eyepiece is adjustable so that you can look through the monocular with or without glasses. The package also includes an extendable stable tripod which features a phone clip. You will be able to take the most amazing photos with your smartphone.
Authentic Roxant Grip Scope High Definition Wide View Monocular
While this product may seem simple at first glance, do not make the mistake of underestimating it. As far as specifications go, this is very similar to the previous monocular. It has a 50 mm objective lens and 12x magnification capability. It provides a clear and bright view of whatever you are watching.
The Authentic Roxant Monocular features high-end optics with FMC Superior BAK-4 green film prism. If you are an amateur, that is among the best on the market. The full 430 feet/1000 yards field view is more than satisfactory. The high-definition optical glass features a premium multi-coated all-glass lens that ensures excellent light transmission and brightness.
The eyepiece is retractable, which is good news for anyone who wears glasses. This feature allows you to look through the monocular either way. The package will also include a carry pouch for safe storage and transportation, a belt loop, a cleaning cloth, and a neck strap. The non-slip comfort grip provides less shake, which means it is easier to handle altogether. You can use this product for anything from outdoor concerts and sporting events to camping and hunting.
While all three products show promise, my personal favorite is the Cosbity High Power Monocular. It has excellent specifications, and many online reviews agree with me. Plus, the accessories are a huge selling point, like with many other things, which makes this product one of the best monoculars on the market.
Monoculars are extremely useful in many circumstances, and the fact that they are more convenient to carry around makes them more and more sought after than binoculars. Each of them has pros and cons, but monoculars are highly versatile, which is why I myself prefer one instead of binoculars. They are just as potent, and you will have an easy time using them. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The Ultimate Solution for Binocular Harness You Can Learn About Today
- Top Night Binoculars Guide!
- A Guide to Kids Binoculars
- Top Tips of Best Small Binoculars
- Finding the Best Lightweight Binoculars
- A Fool’s Handbook to Best Binoculars under 100
- Details of Most Powerful Binoculars
- Startling Facts About Bird Watching Binoculars Unveiled
- Monocular Reviews Reviews & Guide
- The Upside to Best Binoculars for the Money
- What to Expect From Night Vision Monocular?
- Magical Solutions to Cheap Binoculars Identified
- A Review of Good Binoculars
- Best Birding Binoculars for Dummies
- Unanswered Issues With Best Bird Watching Binoculars Exposed
- Getting the Best Best Hunting Binoculars
- Why Everybody Is Dead Mistaken Regarding Best Binoculars for Birding
- Understanding Binoculars Best Buy
- The New Fuss About Small Binoculars
- Binoculars Price Reviews & Guide
- The Foolproof Best Binoculars 2015 Strategy
- The Chronicles of Best Binoculars for Bird Watching
- One of the Most Neglected Solutions for Infrared Binoculars
- Binoculars Online Help!
- Outrageous Hunting Binoculars Tips
- Key Pieces of Best Compact Binoculars
- The Good, the Bad and Binocular Reviews
- The Most Neglected Fact About Compact Binoculars Exposed
- Reported Buzz on Binoculars for Sale Discovered
- The Pitfall of Monocular
- Best Binoculars – an in Depth Anaylsis on What Works and What Doesn’t
- New Ideas Into Night Vision Goggles Never Before Revealed
- What You Do Not Know About Night Vision Binoculars
- A Deadly Mistake Uncovered on Spotting Scope and How to Avoid It
- The Benefits of Binoculars